National Cheng Kung University,       Tainan, Taiwan

Banquet

Venue: Old Julius Mannich Merchant House

Address: No. 3, Ln. 233, Anbei Rd., Anping Dist., Tainan City 708, Taiwan

The History of Old Julius Mannich Merchant House:
   
Julius Mannich was a German businessman who set up business in Anping and the Shao Chuan Tou area of Kaohsiung. Like most of the other traders in Tainan, he specialized in the camphor and sugar trades. Construction began on his merchant house in Anping in 1875, a few years after fellow companies like Tait & Co. Most of these companies enjoyed success for the decades they were in operation up until Taiwan was ceded to Japan in 1895. The cession rendered the Treaty of Tianjin meaningless, but the Japanese did not immediately remove the foreign merchants. They simply made life difficult for them by making the trade of camphor and opium a government business. Julius Mannich & Co. folded, and in 1901, the Japanese turned the merchant house into the Anping District Office. In 1920, the building became a police office. After the arrival of the KMT, the house was used as the dormitory of the salt works manager. Since 1986, the Julius Mannich Merchant House has been a small museum. A beer garden style restaurant was added a few years ago.

Reference: http://tainancity.wordpress.com & CAMBRIDGE HOTELS

 

           Pictures

  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription